National Oatmeal Month
January is National Oatmeal Month. January is the month when more oatmeal is bought than in any other month.
The Quaker Oats Company reports that:
• More oatmeal is eaten in January than in any other month of the year
• Most people add milk, sugar, fruit, or butter [butter on oatmeal?]
• More unusual toppings are peanut butter, eggnog and cottage cheese.
• Studies show that people who eat oatmeal have healthy hearts.
• The soluble fiber in oatmeal can help to lower cholesterol, and oatmeal may also reduce blood pressure.
• A bowl of oatmeal keeps people feeling full, which leads to less snacking in between meals.
• When eaten daily, three grams of soluble fiber from oatmeal may reduce the risk of heart disease.