Pie “has made a comeback”
Heard this week on NPR’s The Splendid Table, episode “Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook is a throwback to simpler times” host Lynn Rosetto Kasper interviewed Cheryl Day, author the cookbook.
“I really am into pies right now. I think the craft of making a pie has made a comeback. No matter what your skill level is, you can make a pie. And who doesn’t enjoy a slice of pie? I think it’s definitely going to be coming forward.”
Here’s Cheryl on pie crust: https://soundcloud.com/thesplendidtable/cheryl-day-on-pie-crust
• Pies were around way back in ancient Egyptians times.
• Romans spread pies around Europe.
• First pie recipe was published by the Romans and was for a rye-crusted goat cheese and honey pie.
• Early pies were mostly meat pies.
• America has England to thank for pies. Pies came to America with the first English settlers.
• Pie has evolved to in the eyes of many to be the most traditional American dessert — “as American as apple pie.”
Read more in “History of Pies” on the American Pie Council’s website
Click here for information from APC — American Pie Counci
Pies are so much fun