May 23 — same date every year — 2014 is the 14th year for this event
How will you be celebrating?
• Rescue a turtle that’s trying to cross a busy road?
• Think about examples of tortoise wining out over a hare? You can email these examples to us to post on this web page: email@example.com
• Discuss the differences between a turtle and a tortoise?
American Tortoise Rescue
The American Tortoise Rescue (ATR), the event’s sponsors, says on its website sortoise.com the day was created to celebrate the world’s oldest creatures.
Turtles and tortoises have existed for 200,000,000 years.
It’s also a day to recognize the critical need to protect turtles and tortoises and their disappearing habitats around the world.
Bunkie, ATR’s mascot, is the first land turtle rescued
Bunkie, said to be a lady’s man, is now the boss of the ATR’s Turtle Yard
- If you see a tortoise crossing a street, pick it up and send it in the same direction it was going. Don’t try to make it go back as it will turn around again to head where it wants to go.
- Don’t remove turtles or tortoises from the wild unless they are sick or injured.
- Don’t buy a turtle or tortoise from a pet shop as this increases demand for turtles and tortoises from their natural habitats.
- For more suggestions, visit their website.
Greeting Cards for World Turtle Day