Each year when Groundhog Day rolls around we wonder why we celebrate it. We’ve pondered this [dull men like to ponder]. We’ve come up with some possible reasons:
• It gives Punxsutawnians a reason to dress up.
• It gives a groundhog a reason to get out of its burrow.
• It gives the rest of us a break from the hullabaloo leading up to the Super Bowl.
• It’s a test for our memory — it the groundhog sees its shadow, is that good news or bad news?
• We learn once again how to spell Punxsutawney
• A weather forecast that’s more accurate than forecasts by radio and TV stations.
• It gives radio and TV stations something to talk about.