A decision we face daily: staple or paper clip?
We have researched this as well as discussed it at DMC meetings and even at dinner parties.
In favor of staples:
- More secure
- Fun to use the stapler, that feel in our hand when the stapler staples
- Nice to hear the sound the stapler makes
- Staples add less bulk than paper clips to files
In favor of paper clips:
- Cheaper because they are reusable
- Cheaper because no need to buy a stapler
- Avoids annoyance of a jammed stapler
- Avoids foot picking up staple (ouch) that has fallen on floor
- Good for bigger batches of papers—paper clips are available in much bigger sizes than staples
- More colorful—paper clips, but not staples, come in varying colors
Both? Belt and Suspenders?
- Use both a staple and paper clip, have advantages of both
- Use one then the other, use paper clip to hold papers in position for stapling: first get papers positioned, then held together with paper clip, then staple, then remove paper clip